No. 5 - My Project Begins / My Project Only Exists Because I Tell You It Does

In a dizzying process of grabbing at shrapnel of my ideas and concepts - in nothing sticking - I have decided to start where I will end. 

My final project will only exist in the many ways it does if I tell you it does, and how I tell you it does will be all you have to know of its existence (counting these). 

Thus the first (last) fold of simulation is acknowledged.

Everything behind the project's presentation must have the presence of flatness of meaning, but this would stick me somewhere in the second or third stage of the 'successive phases of the image'. Where I cannot accurately simulate the cultural processes that stimulate Baudrillard's phases of the image, I can simulate it. Thus the next folds of simulation are acknowledged. 

The process precedes the concept... The concept precedes me... Is all that's left to do is copy something? If so, so be it, but I know I will change my direction for this project a handful of times from now, so bear in mind.

My attempt at the moment is to present a series of video pieces, images, written reports falsified or representing of other parts of the piece, etc., that can evolve and inform each other over the course of the term so that a procession through the phases of the images can be facilitated (simulated). 

I want to work with imagery and objects over and over so that through the course of the term their application and definition evolves and they no longer hold (original) meaning. This doesn't mean blur something into abstraction (that would be a little lazy) but I want to create a flow of imagery that infers itself so much that it both amplifies its sense of power while hollowing it to the point of eeriness. Using found imagery/footage, my own work reused and reworked, as well as traditional imagery from popular culture (I recently watched Teen Mom 2 and I think there's a lot of potential within that I could use).

If I could recreate the phenomenon of Kitsch Jesus, I would love that. But to create anything within this format of a art project it will remain just before the true fourth phase of the image - hence my (undeveloped) interest in realizing that in order for it to be a project, it must become The Project. 


(This was a unused version of a video-project done last
term, but uses TM2 footage and old footage I forgot
I had on my phone, so while not the project for this 
class, I thought it applicable (give you something 
to look at). The green/purple split is because of a driver
incompatibility, which both Intel and Adobe told me to fix
but neither allowed it, so it is here to stay.)



Comments